The Cathedral of Our Lady Assumed into Heaven and
St Nicholas, commonly known as Galway Cathedral is a Roman Catholic cathedral in
Galway, Ireland and is one of the largest and most impressive buildings in the
Construction began in 1958 on the site of the old city jail, and in 1965 was
finally dedicated by Cardinal Richard Cushing to Our Lady Assumed into Heaven
(Mary, mother of Jesus) and St Nicholas.
The architecture of the Cathedral draws on many influences. The dome and pillars
reflect a Renaissance style. Other features, including the rose windows and
mosaics, echo the broad tradition of Christian art. The Cathedral dome, at a
height of 44.2 metres (145 ft), is a prominent landmark on the city skyline.
The Cathedral pipe organ was originally built by the Liverpool firm of
Rushworthe & Dreaper in 1966, it was renovated and greatly expanded by the Irish
organ-builder Trevor Crowe between 2006 and 2007. It has three manuals and 59
speaking stops, and is used regularly during services as well as in the annual
series of summer concerts.
The Cathedral also has a smaller portable instrument, with one manual and four
stops. It is used in smaller-scale liturgy in the Cathedral's side chapels, as
well as in a continuo role in concerts.