Palazzo Doria Tursi is the most impressive among those of Strada Nuova (now Via
Garibaldi). In 1820 the building was purchased by the Savoy, then became the
seat of the Jesuit College, and finally in 1848 the building was purchased by
the city, which will transfer the Town Hall.
It is a great example of a
Renaissance Genovese palazzo, designed by Giovanni and Domenico Ponsello in the
mid 16th century for Niccolò Grimaldi, known as the "Monarca" on account of his
immense fortune. After Grimaldi's financial ruin, the palazzo was acquired by
Giovanni Andrea Doria, the Duke of Tursi, and nephew to the great Admiral.
The interesting facade, with stonework by Finale and grotesques by T.
Carlone, the impressive entrance stairway, the galleried hall, the two side
hanging gardens have all made this a wonderful location for the Genovese town
council. Inside, in the Syndicate Office, there are several letters signed by
Colombus: the "Codice dei privilegi" conceded to the explorer by Spanish royal
command, and an urn containing some of his ashes, found in Santo Domingo in
In addition, there is the famous Paganini violin, a Guarnieri del
Gesù from 1742, which is played once a year by the winner of the competition for
young violinists, the "Premio Paganini", which takes place in October along with
the celebrations for Colombus.