Via Garibaldi is street of the historical centre of Genoa, northern Italy, well
known for its ancient palaces. The street dates back to the year 1550.
Originally named as Strada Maggiore, then Strada Nuova, only in 1882 its name
was dedicated to Giuseppe Garibaldi. It is 250 metres long and 7.5 metres wide.
Since July 2006 Via Garibaldi is inscribed in the list of UNESCO World Heritage
Sites as part of the system of the Palazzi dei Rolli and Strade Nuove del Centro
Storico of Genoa.
It was designed in the 16th century to accomodate
Mannerist palaces for important Genovese families when Genova was a powerful
city-state. Palazzo Rosso, Palazzo Bianco, Palazzo Grimaldi, a famous art
college and Musei di Strada Nuova are all situated on the street. It is possible
to get inside many of these splendid palaces daytime.
In Via Garibaldi
today are based - as well as many public and private offices and several
domestic and foreign banks - two of the city's most important art galleries and
collections - Palazzo Rosso and Palazzo Bianco - which together with the Palazzo
Doria Tursi, the town hall, are the Museums of Strada Nuova.