The Palais de Rumine is a late 19th-century building in Florentine Renaissance
style in Lausanne, Switzerland.
Construction of the Palais de Rumine
didn't take place until 1892, and owed its design to the Lyonnais architect
Gaspard Andre. The building was inaugurated on November 3rd, 1902, although
construction still continued up until 1904. During those days, it housed the
library of the University of Lausanne, as well as scientific and artistic
collections belonging to the Canton of Vaud.
During the 1980s, however,
the university moved to its current location by Lake Geneva due to lack of
space, and the Palais de Rumine was restructured. Today the Palais de Rumine
hosts one of the four sites of the Cantonal and University Library of Lausanne,
and also contains not one, but five different museums as well.