Nuremberg Castle, also known as Kaiserburg, is an impressive sandstone structure
that was an imperial residence for the great Holy Roman Emperors in Nuremberg,
Germany. It comprises three sections: the imperial castle, some buildings of the
Burgraves of Nuremberg, and the municipal buildings of the Imperial City at the
eastern site. The castle together with the City walls of Nuremberg is meant to
be one of Europes most considerable medieval war systems.
palace of Nuremberg is one of Germany’s most important medieval fortresses. It
can be dated back to at least the year 1000 A.D, although there are no
historical documents to prove its existence until at least 1105. The huge
complex was built by the Hohenstaufens and their successors over the remains of
previous buildings from the time of the Salians. The double Imperial Chapel is
one of the oldest remaining parts of the castle complex (c. 1200). Some of the
imperial residential and state rooms in the Palas have late medieval and
The Deep Well, which was the castle’s most
important source of water in times of siege, is a particularly famous feature.
The defensive tower in the bailey of the Imperial Castle, the Sinwell Tower, was
built in the 13th century and there is a splendid view from the top of the old
part of Nuremberg.